Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Just for you

This week at Just Add Ink we have a colour challenge for you.

image
At first these colours said “male card”  to me, but instead I decided to go very soft and feminine.

IMG_1999
I also decided to try some techniques that I hadn’t attempted before.
One was the spotlighting technique.  I used the tag to highlight an area of the stamped image.
The other was the faux mother of pearl technique. I’ve included this second photo because you can see the shine a little more .  It is done on glossy white with frost white shimmer paint and also sponged with soft suede to make it darker.  here is the great tutorial by France that inspired me, if you’re interested in trying it out.
IMG_2005

Ingredients :
Stamps : Elements of style, very vintage wheel, teeny tiny sentiments

Card : naturals ivory, very vanilla, glossy white, cherry cobbler, soft suede

Ink : stazon, white craft, suede, crumb cake marker,

Other : crochet trim, jumbo eyelet, oval punch, linen thread, pearls, frost white shimmer paint, scallop trim border punch, beautiful wings, hodgepodge hardware, blender pen


I was tempted to send this card to my good friend Rita in the US, who is also a stampin up demo.  She has repeatedly said how much she hates this stamp, yet it’s one of my favourites.  I’d love to be able to convince her that it’s gorgeous.  I decided against trying though, I know everyone has different tastes (but how can you not like this one?)  :)
Instead I gave it to my daughter’s violin teacher with a gift card as a thankyou for all her help with the Hobart Eisteddfod this year.  No prize this time unfortunately (there were so many brilliant young soloists!!!) but it was a wonderful experience for her and her teacher is so generous and giving of her time and knowledge I hoped this might show our appreciation of her.
Kathy

10 comments:

  1. How thoughtful to give this gorgeous card to your daughters teacher. It's is so beautiful with all that shimmer and the great colour combo. You have made a beautiful, feminine card from this combination Kathy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree this colour challenege said 'male' card to me too at first but I am glad you have shown how these colours can also work on a 'feminine' card. Your work is so beautiful and the Faux Mother of Pearl technique is on my list of 'to try' some time! Lovely thank you card for your daughter's violin teacher, maybe you can make another for your US friend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet card - with a very nice story to go with it! I must agree with your US friend, I'm not the biggest fan of the floral stamps. But, we all have our own tastes and that's what makes everyone's cards and ideas amazing. Have a great weekend! Theresa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've definitely shown that these colours work wonderfully together to create a soft feminine card Kathy! All the lovely details make it a special card indeed.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy! I would love any card you sent me, even with Elements of Style. :) I think you make beautiful cards with it. I love your combination of spotlight and the faux mother of pearl. It is fabulous! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful techniques used to make a stunning card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beauty! I love the elegance of your card. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soft and feminine works beautifully here Kathy. Good choice. Beautiful techniques and this card is going to be so appreciated by your daughter's music teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a soft and pretty use of the colours Kathy, l agree this is definately one of my favourite SU sets, l love the use of the tag too, really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I need to case your card LOVE ITTTTTT. Thank you for the link
    France

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!